Red quinoa and edamame salad with ginger dressing
(adapted/modified from a ReadyMade.com recipe)
A very filling, delicious salad full of good-for-you ingredients. I feel that some of the measurements on the ReadyMade website are a bit off, when it comes to the amount of quinoa they suggest for the recipe. It also may depend on the type of quinoa, I suppose. However, having prepared 2 cups of quinoa I found myself with quite a bit of it that I couldn’t even put into the salad. So, if you want a nice balance of all the ingredients, follow my suggestions.
1 cup quinoa + 2 cups water (for the cooked quinoa)
1 tbsp dried hijiki
Â¼ cup diced red bell pepper
Â¼ cup diced carrot
Â½ tsp olive oil
2-3 cups shelled edamame (depends on how much you like it)
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (I used black, but any sesame seeds will add good flavor)
1 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp agave syrup/nectar
Â¼ tsp red/spicy sesame oil
dash of crushed chili pepper flakes
Â¼ tsp sea salt
1. Prepare the quinoa according to packaged instructions; set aside to cool
2. Soak hijiki in cold water for 30-40 minutes; rinse hijiki and simmer on low heat for another 10-15 minutes until just slightly soft; rinse in cold water and drain; set aside
3. SautÃ© the carrots and peppers in the olive oil and add to the quinoa.
4. Add the edamame to the quinoa.
5. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl & add the drained hijiki.
6. Stir in the dressing and hijiki into the salad until well mixed.
7. (optional) Good garnish options: shredded dry nori, some more sea salt and sesame seeds